The Friends would like to have a day time offering for book discussion but it would be nice if we had a few more participants. I sent a note to ask what we might do differently and we talked about it at the Friends meeting last night. SO – here is the feedback that came out of those discussions.
1. We will keep it in the morning on Saturday but will slip it back a little to 11 a.m. to give people a bit more time to get their Saturday morning errands done and still join us. We think we can still eat bagels at 11.
2. We will hold it on the 3rd Saturday of each month and we will start in November (this is totally because I will be out of town on the 3rd Saturday in October). We will expect to have meetings each month through April.
3. Because we got a lot of feedback that the long list of books discussed simply overwhelmed people, we will limit the number of books anyone recommends (INCLUDING ME – big sacrifice here) to 4 each.
4. I will pay attention to the recommendations during the discussion and try to capture some of the reasons the person talking about the book liked it/or not and put that on the list that is produced after the meeting.
5. We will narrow the focus of the subjects to make it a little less overwhelming – so instead of HISTORY – which is a little broad- we will begin in November with books about WWI which is commemorating 100 years and there are a number of good choices – fiction and non-fiction.
6. We will ask Jeremy if he is willing to put a display of some of the recommended books occasionally to help advertise the program. Notices of the meetings will be sent to the Beacon and Action Unlimited in addition to putting them on our Facebook page and putting signs in the library.
7. A list (NO MORE THAN 4) of possible books on the topic will be available for anyone who doesn’t have suggestions of their own a month before the discussion. The blog will continue because it just will.
AND NONE OF THIS IS CARVED IN STONE (well – the blog might be) – WE ARE TRYING TO FIND A WAY TO HAVE THIS BE A USEFUL AND FUN GROUP FOR PEOPLE WHO REALLY LOVE TO READ.